Friday 26 July 2013

Review of Prophecy of the Most Beautiful

As part of the Oracle of Delphi Tour, here is my review of the first book in the series
Prophecy of the Most Beautiful
 
Diantha Jones was born the day thousands of turkeys sacrificed their lives to fill millions of American bellies on November 22 which also happened to be Thanksgiving Day (Her mother says she owes her a turkey). She is a Journalism graduate who wants to be a career novelist (of books, not Facebook posts). When not writing or working, she is reading on her Nook, being hypnotized by Netflix or on a mission to procure french fries. 

The Oracle of Delphi fantasy series is her first series. She is also the author of Mythos: Stories from Olympus, a companion series, and there is another fantasy series in the works. She also writes (new) adult fantasy/paranormal romance under the name A. Star. Invasion (An Alien Romance) is her first title released under this pen name. Future releases under A. Star include, the Love & Steampunk series, the Purr, Inc. stories, and more.

Website  |  Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads  |  Amazon  |  Pinterest  |  DJ's Book Corner

Email Diantha Jones at: theauthor (at) diantha-jones (dot) com


~#~#~#~#~#~#~#~

She has a destiny so great that even the gods fear her.


Constant hallucinations and the frequent conversations with the voices in her head, have earned eighteen-year-old Chloe Clever the not-so-coveted title of "Whack Job" in her home town of Adel, Georgia. With the onslaught of prescription medications and therapists threatening to push her over the edge, she wishes for a life far away from the one she has, a life where she is destined to be more than the butt of everyone's jokes and mockery.

Be careful what you wish for has never rung more true.

After living through an attack from her worst nightmare, she awakens to find herself far from home, surrounded by glorious riches and servants…and a few demigods who enjoy killing things. Upon learning that her favorite rockstar is an Olympian god, she is thrust into her new life as the Oracle of Delphi, the prophesier of the future, and the great Pythia that the gods have been anxiously awaiting to arrive for centuries.

Setting out to fulfill the prophecy she has been given and to keep her family safe from a demigod Princess that wants her dead, Chloe learns of how great she is to become, all the while fighting mythical monsters, evading divine assassins and trying to outwit the ever-cunning Greek gods who harbor secrets of their own. In the hopes of discovering the Most Beautiful and the truth of her destiny, she strives to uncover the mysteries of the demigod Prince who has sworn to protect her with his life…and threatens to win her heart in the process.
eBook: Amazon  |  Barnes&Noble
Paperback: Amazon
 
~#~#~#~#~#~#~
 
Diantha has this incredible way of weaving information and description into the opening – into the whole story, really – but I was instantly curious about Chloe and this mysterious girl who seemed too nice to be so bad. In terms of characterization it took me a while to warm up to these characters and their shifting emotions but while I was still getting to know these characters I was blown away by all of the action and adventure and the seemingly never-ending parade of questions. The sword fighting and monsters and crazy trips into worlds unknown is what kept me turning page after page.

Majoring in Greek and Roman Studies means that I had adjust my world view when it came to the interpretation of these myths that I’ve studied but I thought that she had a very fresh take on some rather tired stories. The darker persona of Persephone was one of my favourites because she is always portrayed as sweet and innocent and I loved Diantha’s takes on modernizing the gods. The gothic, emo scene isn’t really for me but it was well represented and again, I’m in love with her writing style.

I loved and hated – and was really creeped out by – these characters and I eventually warmed up to them so I was sitting on the edge of my seat, shouting at the characters and slapping my forehead at the missed clues. And the little bread crumbs left at the end leading into what would be book two (Prophecy of the Setting Sunrise) were actually very engaging and I will definitely be reading the next story to see what crazy adventures they get into.

And of course my miscellaneous notes whilst reading Prophecy of the Most Beautiful  include:

·         What is a gingernut…(oh, a redhead. Lol)
·         The tour bus is a T.A.R.D.I.S.!
·         I want Greek voices in my head
·         Alliteration ftw
·         Hot demi-gods are hot
·         Sibling rivalry always makes me smile
·         “Gods like variety” lol
·         Aw Strafford’s being creepy
                   o   You are a stalker but that’s okay ‘cause you’re cute
·         I. Love. Libraries.
·         Your motto is “radiate”?
·         “Sure she had a fit or two, hurt a few people…but blah. That was hot.”
                   o   Could not agree more. That says more about me than it does about him.
·         Italicized mystery to the max
·         Maxie is so many levels of creep – and those are some bad insults they are throwing
·         The danger is getting really intense
·         Morphs are officially awesome
·         Boys get very attached to their swords…I’ve noticed.
·         For a girl who claims not to be boy crazy she is certainly…boy crazy
                   o   Her prophecies just bring all the boys to the yard, I guess
·         Strafford you are annoyingly possessive
·         The Dropper literally dropped into the story out of nowhere
·         I love to HATE Strafford
·         Well she’s just all kinds of rare isn’t she?
·         Whoa Benjy
·         Shut up, Strafford, you have no claim to her…except that she likes you, too…shut up
·         Loving the one-liners. “They were like Barbies. With guns.”
·         All the little sudden twists took me by happy surprise
·         Like the use of a lesser known myth
·         Had to reread the prophecy explanation. So many little clues.
·         Is it bad that I still ship Ace and Chloe even if they’re just friends now?

And I was yelling at Strafford a lot more than what I wrote down. Poor guy.

Regardless, I’m picking up Book Two (Book Four will be out soon so I need to catch up) and you should get your hands on Prophecy of the Most Beautiful if you’re a Percy Jackson fan. Or just a fan of Greek Mythology. Or books.

AND THE GIVEAWAYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment