Monday 2 September 2013

A Farewell to Tinkerbell Part 1

New series. Yay! From now until the end of December I'm going to be exploring different Disney characters in the form of goodbye letters - Dear John, Eulogy, Farewell etc. - so some of them will be pretty hard just because I love my Disney stories. I'll also try to draw a little from the original fairy tales but a lot of it is based on the most common conception of the character.

This project was inspired by the song "Farewell to Tinkerbell" by Edwin McCain so I had to start with Tinkerbell for this series. I would love to know what you think in the comments.



 
 
Hey Tink it's Peter. Mary is writing this letter because I can't write good but she said she’d teach me and that I’d get really good at it. I'm glad you like Mary because the other girls didn't like when you pulled their hair. I always thought it was funny. Especially that one time when you pulled a chunk of Lindsay's hair out. She was mad for some reason so maybe it's good that she didn't come to Neverland because she wouldn't have been any fun. What's the point of being a kid if you can't have fun, right? You know that better than anyone. You are my oldest friend. My best friend. Which is why I have to tell you: I think I might grow up. It's too big an adventure to miss out on. Neverland is such a small island. There is hardly an adventure left to be had. The pirates are gone, the Indians are dead. I had to banish the mermaids after they drowned Sally. I don't have to tell you how the cowboys are. George is the last Lost Boy and I've named him leader. He'll take care of you. I don't want you to come with me because you'll be sad. Besides, Mary says that fairies can’t live in this world. So this is good bye, Tink. Maybe when I'm all grown up and you're not sad anymore you can come and visit me. I promise I won't forget you. I never forget. Well, I forget a lot but I could never forget you, Tinkerbell. But just to be sure if I ever start to forget can you send some fairy dust to remind me. Just send it on the winds and it'll get from Neverland to me. Second star to the right and straight on till morning, right? And every night before I go to bed I'll clap just for you. Even after I finish growing up I won’t let anyone forget about you. You are the very last fairy, Tink. I won’t let your light go out, ever. Mary is crying so I think I should stop talking. But I just wanted to thank you, Tink, thanks for the adventures. I think this is my biggest adventure yet and you can’t come along. Is this what it feels like to be scared? I don’t like it. But I like Mary and she says there are so many adventures to be had here. To grow up will be an awfully big adventure. Good bye, Tinkerbell. I’ll see you in my dreams.
Peter Pan

1 comment:

  1. Lovely. Sad, sweet, and so, so true. The trick is to grow up just enough, but not too much. Looking forward to reading more in the series!

    ReplyDelete