Monday 30 June 2014

My Pre-Release Review of Boomerang



From the HarperCollins website:
“The first book in a sensational New Adult trilogy from Noelle August.

Welcome to Boomerang.com, the dating site for the millennial gen with its no-fuss, no-commitments matchups, where work is steamier than any random hook-up.

Mia Galliano is an aspiring filmmaker. Ethan Vance has just played his last game as a collegiate soccer star. They’re sharp, hungry for success, and they share a secret.

Last night, Ethan and Mia met at a bar, and, well . . . one thing led to another, which led to them waking up the next morning—together. Things turned awkward in a hurry when they found themselves sharing a post hookup taxi . . . to the same place: Boomerang headquarters.

What began as a powerful connection between them is treated to a cold shower courtesy of two major complications. First, Boomerang has a strict policy against co-worker dating. And second, they’re now competitors for only one job at the end of summer.

As their internships come to an end, will they manage to keep their eyes on the future and their hands off each other, or will the pull of attraction put them right back where they started?”

Pre-order on AmazonBarnes & Noble or your local indie!

I received an advanced copy of Boomerang while attending RT Booklovers Convention in New Orleans back in May. I’m just now getting around to reading it but once I did, I tore through it.


Basic plot: boy and girl hook up at a bar (but don’t remember what they did the next morning) and discover that they’re competing for the same job at an online dating service called “Boomerang”. Sexy times ensue but they’re not allowed to be together. Drama ensues. More sexy times. They all live happily ever after.

I’ll admit that this book grew on me. There were parts that I loved right from the beginning (like a killer opening line that I promise not to spoil), but there were parts that I had to learn to love (like some of the circumstances the characters were put in). I found myself rolling my eyes a few times at how crazy these “random circumstances” got and saying “of course that happened, it’s a romantic comedy”. Which is not bad. This is a nice, fun read that kept me turning the pages; and mostly it was the characters themselves that kept me going.

Mia: our female protagonist who is drop dead gorgeous, smart, witty, emotionally scarred, and ever devoted to her dying grandmother. I’ll admit, I have a huge girl crush on her. She’s an artistically creative woman who stands up for herself and craves playful independence in the face of adversity. Of course I loved her.

Ethan: our male protagonist who is also drop dead gorgeous, smart, witty, emotionally scarred, and amazing with children. I slowly grew to love him. We see this story through the perspective of both main characters and Ethan’s head is filled with doubt, boners, and sports. He’s very much a “man’s man” in a lot of ways which was an initial turn-off for me and then I slowly grew to love him.






You’ll see that a lot in my random notes I took while reading (WARNING: there's a lot of them):  

(As this was an uncorrected copy, some of my notes may no longer be relevant to the published manuscript)
  •       Best opening line
  • ·         I love her description of herself – I get her personality right away
  • ·         I love men with long eyelashes
  • ·         Confident, comfortable with her body, sassy, and successful? Yup, I love her
  • ·         Ugh…Ethan is such a…guy
  • ·         I never knew that was called a vuvuzela
  • ·         I’m only laughing because the role reversal is pathetic and a little adorable
  • ·         I officially love Sky for her stereotypical sassiness
  • ·         I don’t like Ethan’s head. He just bugs me
  • ·         Stereotypical plot twist is stereotypical
  • ·         And…Bess is the sassy gay friend with tits
  • ·         It fits with Mia’s character but still
  • ·         Keep it in your pants Ethan, seriously
  • ·         All geek girls salivate classily
  • ·         HER SASS CANNOT BE CONTAINED
  • ·         Damn it, Ethan, I TOLD you to keep it in your pants. I will not tell you again
  • ·         *snorts* Feel the goodness
  • ·         Ethan still bugs me but his dad is totally a cool teddy bear
  • ·         Morbid minds think alike?
  • ·         You are in such big trouble, my friend
  • ·         She just said “vulva fest” I can’t…
  • ·         I love the ice queen imagery
  • ·         Cookie is such a bitch but she’s just so good at it
  • ·         Ugh. Do they spray testosterone like it’s air freshener?
  • ·         Playing Adult is one of my favourite things
  • ·         Warehouse boners, man, so inconvenient
  • ·         Even I’M getting mixed signals from this girl
  • ·         Oh no, I laugh at the romantic comedy unfolding before me
  • ·         Actually a very smooth transition into description
  • ·         Okay, Ethan, I take it back; you’re adorable
  • ·         Of course
  • ·         Nana sees right through your lies, boy
  • ·         “Well she’s gotta find a date somehow…”is that what you’re telling me with your hijinks?
  • ·         I’m sorry, Ethan, I’m allergic to your bullshit
  • ·         I love the chapter titles. Even now, I still love them
  • ·         Yes, he’s a dick, Mia, but you’re just being mean
  • ·         This is just a hijinks-pocalypse
  • ·         You’re my kind of girl, Mia
  • ·         Stop being Mr. Perfect only sometimes, it’s like you’re realistic or something
  • ·         I think there’s a very small percentage of the population who would want to be “fuckin’ Pablo”
  • ·         Ugh, even with the Karate Kid, you guys are acting like a bunch of jocks…which you are
  • ·         Do it…do it
  • ·         No
  • ·         The darkness is strong with this one
  • ·         Fudge, I think I know what’s going to happen next
  • ·         I wonder if you can actually afford this…
  • ·         I may have fallen in love with Ethan specifically because he yelled “I am your number 5”
  • ·         Ha, ha, ha, ha, crap I was right
  • ·         Oh, poor Brian
  • ·         I find it interesting that they describe Alison the same way
  • ·         Way to give a girl a heart attack
  • ·         Must. Resist. Urge. To make. Quickie. Jokes.
  • ·         You know you got it bad when you think he looks hot at a bowling alley
  • ·         No! N-I refuse-no!
  • ·         Finally he gets it
  • ·         Can you not see through her witchy lies?
  • ·         I saw that coming and it was still cheesy
  • ·         Ethan, stop getting boners around nine year old boys
  • ·         I mean that with love
  • ·         No, Ethan, just…no (for once I agree with Rhett)
  • ·         And that’s why I love Mia: she “storms the castles”
  • ·         This whole chapter I’ve spent saying “no” like I’m scolding a puppy (aka Ethan)
  • ·         There’s a lot of things I’ll buy but not that they were this enamored on Day One
  • ·         Less poor Brian
  • ·         Say it with me, boys and girls: “lying to someone you care about is fucked”
  • ·         You guys are just a family of clichés aren’t you?
  • ·         Sigh, men are all about the visuals
  • ·         Ha, ha, ha, fuck
  • ·         So close to not hitting ALL the rom com clichés. So close
  • ·         I was almost proud of him for being pissed off at Mia (it’s a trust thing). Almost
  • ·         I barely remember when “Curls” became a thing but now I’m melting
  • ·         “Oh no”, I groan sadly
  • ·         A hot guy making comfort food…okay I give, Ethan, I like you a lot
  • ·         “Go Team”…no
  • ·         Theirs is a unique love. One that fits their personalities. A weird love. I like it
  • ·         I’m going to puke with all the cheesy that was in that last page

As I said, I laughed a lot at the circumstances but the characters were – mostly consistent – and well written. The story moved forward at a pace that actually made sense and all the hijinks did make for a very entertaining read.

Boomerang is set to release on July 15th 2014

NOELLE AUGUST is an anagram for Veronica Rossi and Lorin Oberweger. Just kidding, it’s a pen name!

VERONICA ROSSI is the author of the New York Times Best-selling UNDER THE NEVER SKY trilogy for young adults. The books are available in more than thirty countries and the film rights have been optioned by Warner Bros.

Veronica completed undergraduate studies at UCLA and lives in Northern California with her husband and two sons. She is fond of dresses with pockets, fluffy dogs, and cheese and chocolate — but not together.

LORIN OBERWEGER began her storytelling career by captivating her first-grade class with tales of her summers on a kibbutz in Israel.

Lorin had never been to Israel.

While teacher/parent night put an end to her first experiments in fiction, she’d already caught the bug and eventually made a career of all things story.

As a long-time independent editor and story development guru, Lorin’s client successes range from small press publications to major bestselling novels. She’s an award-winning author and has also worked behind the scenes as a ghostwriter on a variety of projects. Her work has received starred Kirkus reviews and glowing mentions in The New York Times.

Oh, she did get to see a kibbutz, eventually, and found out she had it pretty much right all along.


Veronica and Lorin met at a writing workshop and just knew they were destined to create awesome things together.

No comments:

Post a Comment