Friday 11 July 2014

My Review of Persephone's Orchard by Molly Ringle

The Greek gods never actually existed. Did they? Sophie Darrow finds she was wrong about that assumption when she's pulled into the spirit realm, complete with an Underworld, on her very first day at college. Adrian, the mysterious young man who brought her there, simply wants her to taste a pomegranate. And soon, though she returns to her regular life, her mind begins exploding with dreams and memories of ancient times--of a love between two Greeks named Persephone and Hades. But lethal danger has always surrounded the immortals, and now that she's tainted with the Underworld's magic, that danger is drawing closer to Sophie.








In celebration of the release of Underworld’s Daughter, book two in the this series by Molly Ringle, I picked up Persephone’s Orchard and tore through it.

Cliff notes version: The reincarnations of Persephone and Hades find each other in the modern world – and in this retelling of the famous Greek myth, they’re very much in love.

I was in love with the idea of this retelling before I even read it so when it turned out to be fantastic, a little sassy, and all kinds of sexual tension, I was hooked.

Molly Ringle has this great use of descriptive language throughout the novel which is so important to me when it comes to world building. She painted this beautiful picture of the Underworld that I can’t wait to explore more of.

A lot of times, I felt like I was waiting for the action to pick up because it seemed like an awful lot of character establishment. But then again, I’m also the girl who adores backstory.

And speaking of adoration: NA romance!

Sophie and Adrian do not have the simplest of relationships but man, are they adorable. This isn’t your typical “will they/won’t they” love story. This is a “when” love story. And they “when” so much, I love it.

And of course, what review of mine is complete without a ridiculously long list of random notes while reading:
  • That is an excellent opening line. Violence towards animals.
  • Ah small town girls, so…colourful.
  • Stereotypical European man. Check.
  • I really like how I’m slowly being fed information rather than having to absorb it all at once. That little tidbit about her mom was very intriguing but not dwelled on which I love.
  • “That was easy. We must teach you to be less trusting.” – not things girls love to hear from guys…just saying.
  •  Punch it in the face. Always option three. Always punch a lion in the face.
  • Yes please. Please talk. I need context. I’m very, very intrigued.
  • I’m glad we’ve established the love-sick puppy right away.
  • Honey, you’re really not helping your cause.
  • Oh that is so low.
  • Sometimes the best lie is the truth.
  • I think the author is filling in too many blanks. Some of this stuff the reader can figure out on their own.
  • I keep wondering if we’re being fed useless character background but so far we’re okay
  • Oh my god, it’s like what happens after the credits roll in a YA. I’m so impressed.
  • You are. A stalker. You are.
  • I wish I could go wild at college by going off with a strange Kiwi to the Underworld…just saying.
  • Kind of reminds me of the bus from Harry Potter.
  • And the questions just keep piling up.
  • You’re awfully curious about that bed, Sophie (wink, wink)
  • Six chapters in and you’re doing nothing to convince me you’re not a creep.
  • There’s A LOT of description – which I expected – but it’s nice that it’s not totally overwhelming.
  • Thank you, thank you for sliding the information to me across the table on a folded piece of paper rather than shouting it to me across a crowded room.
  • Yes that was a metaphor about info dumping. I’m very pleased.
  • FINALLY!
  • “I slept with you!” “Which time?” The time I woke the house with laughter at this exchange.
  •  You did your research…or you fake it with confidence.
  • You women are all about the physical.
  • No Jacob, it’s really not your night.
  • That was an intense flashback. Backstory central.
  • Aw, even buses get an afterlife.
  • Hee, hee, hee, you guys had sex.
  • I love this twist on Greek Mythology – original and engaging.
  • And the author regarded the age different in immortals so beautifully.
  • Hermes makes me smile.
  • Oh Jacob, acting jealous won’t actually work.
  • Patronizing Persephone will only bring you pain, I promise.
  • We’re reaching Inception territory here.
  • I wasn’t even thinking about her…good job.
  • I love the dynamic between Niko and…everyone.
  • That boy could melt a glacier with his words.
  • *snicker* Your Dad.
  • You guys dibsed each other, like, ages ago.
  • I know Demeter is just being protective but come on!
  • “This. Girl is on FIRE!”
  • *snicker* Tasty Darkness.
  • I appreciate that Sophie’s parents are treating her like an adult and acting mature.
  • Dun, Dun, DUN.
  • Finally, he admits it!


As I said, I loved this original twist on Greek Mythology. The characters just made me smile – or giggle in the case of Niko – and there was so much relationship. Just…all over the place. I'm definitely hooked on this contemporary romance. 

I’m going out right now to get a copy of Book Two because this needs to happen. I need to know what happens next.


Get your copy of Persephone’s Orchard here.

Molly Ringle has been writing fiction for over twenty years. With her intense devotion to silly humor, she was especially proud to win the grand prize in the 2010 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest with one (intentionally) terrible sentence. Her academic studies include a bachelor of arts in anthropology (University of Oregon, Clark Honors College) and a master of arts in linguistics (University of California, Davis). Molly lives in Seattle with her husband and kids, and worships fragrances and chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment