Wednesday 14 September 2016

Your Mid-Week Update for 09/14/16

Did I ever tell you about the time Sandra was kidnapped?

I’ve probably blocked it out.

It was the first year she came to live with me so I was understandably stressed and overwhelmed. I remember dropping her off with no issue and then I went to pick her up at 3pm and the teacher said “oh, someone already picked her up. I think it was your sister.”

I was livid. How could her school be so negligent that they let a child go off with anyone they think might be a relative? That teacher has no idea how close she came to seeing her organs on the outside that day. She died a few years later for unrelated reasons but that day, I could not see straight let alone kill. I couldn’t focus on anything else. I kept calling her phone but it went straight to voicemail and I filled up her inbox with texts but nothing came of it. I almost had James put out an amber alert and I was dialing my sister in prison when I got a call from the parent of Sandra’s friend Clara.

Apparently the girls were having a sleepover and Sandra forgot to tell me. Then her phone died and she still didn’t think to call me. I couldn’t sleep for the rest of the night.  I let her have her sleepover and then when she got home the next day, I sat her down in the kitchen. I think that was the first time I’d ever yelled at her. It wouldn’t be the last time but that was a very pivotal moment for me and Sandra.

I will never forget those few hours when I thought someone was going to hurt my child. It was one of the worst days.

Oh how times have changed.

I’m telling you this story because I want to remind you to be careful. School is back in session and you can’t always be there for them. I have done a lot of horrible things in my life – few of which I regret – but I have never harmed a child. There are people out there who will.

Remember that there are people worse than me in the world. Keep your children safe this school year.

As always, dear readers,

Stay Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment